Leaping Bunny Programme
Leaping Bunny is the international gold standard for cruelty free consumer products
Introducing the Leaping Bunny
At Cruelty Free International, we are passionate about helping business demonstrate its commitment to ending animal testing for the products we all use on a daily basis. Internationally, over 1,000 brands are proud to be part of the Leaping Bunny family. Many display the Leaping Bunny logo on packaging to help consumers choose to shop cruelty free.
The Leaping Bunny programme is regarded as the global gold standard for cruelty free cosmetics, personal care and household products. It is the only internationally recognisable programme that:
- checks for brands conducting, commissioning or being party-to animal testing;
- requires a supplier monitoring system to be implemented by the brand;
- requires supply chain checking for animal testing right down to ingredient manufacturer level;
- requires adherence to a fixed cut-off date policy; and
- acceptance of ongoing independent audits to ensure compliance.
Evolving over the years, the Leaping Bunny programme was originally established in the 1990s by our international coalition of animal protection organisations. The Leaping Bunny logo is issued for use by brands which produce cosmetic, personal care, household and cleaning products which comply with the Leaping Bunny criteria.
Today, Leaping Bunny applications around the world are managed by Cruelty Free International and our international partners who approve companies in specific countries and regions. In the US and Canada, the programme is managed by our partners the Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics (CCIC). Regardless of where a brand is located, Leaping Bunny approval applies internationally.
Why choose the Leaping Bunny for your business?
Leaping Bunny remains the most trusted gold standard programme for cruelty free products, and with good reason. Choosing to become Leaping Bunny approved enables your business to:
- Help end animal testing globally;
- Access an increased ethical market share;
- Receive technical support from Cruelty Free International;
- Evidence independent assurance of your cruelty free claim;
- Achieve global recognition of your cruelty free commitment.
Leaping Bunny approval
Companies have the option of applying for either one or both Leaping Bunny licences:
- Cosmetic & Personal Care Products.
- Household & Cleaning Products.
When a company applies, all the products in their own brand must be included. Individual items/products cannot be approved alone. Leaping Bunny does not currently include medicines, human or animal food items or clothing. Animal grooming products are included within the cosmetics licence.
In order to apply for Leaping Bunny approval, please check that your business is eligible and ensure that:
- Your company sells consumer products that fall under the definition of either cosmetics or household & cleaning products.
- These products are your own label/ brand and not owned by another company.
- You are not an agent, distributor or manufacturer acting on behalf of a third party without their express written permission.
- If you are a manufacturer, you may apply for non-transferable approval of your own label certifiable consumer products. There are no Leaping Bunny ‘approved manufacturers’, because a company may change manufacturers or source various items from differing suppliers. For this reason, each company must apply for approval in its own right, even where a manufacturer has approval for their own brand products.
In order to obtain Leaping Bunny approval, your business must complete and pass the rigorous application process. In order to remain approved, your company will need to demonstrate ongoing commitment to Leaping Bunny criteria.
Step 1: Complete the online form to express your interest in becoming a Leaping Bunny brand. If your brand is eligible we will send you more a detailed understanding of our criteria. There is no obligation to apply.
Step 2: If you confirm your intention to apply, you will pay an application fee, be allocated a point of contact, receive some help to get started and have the opportunity to discuss any questions and concerns you may have.
Step 3: Audit your supply chain for any animal testing, implement Leaping Bunny criteria within your business, set up your supplier monitoring systems and submit your completed application to us.
Step 4: Your application will be approved or you will receive constructive feedback on how you can meet our criteria
Step 5: Once a brand is approved we will share logo files and jointly agree a public launch date for your Leaping Bunny brand
Please note that we never encourage any company to make public statements about applying or intending to submit an application. In order to provide shoppers with an accurate list of certified companies, we request that companies keep pending applications confidential until their official public launch date.
We are a non-profit organisation and fees for Leaping Bunny do not represent a profit for us. Instead, they contribute a little towards our administration, the cost of licensing the Leaping Bunny logo, and the cost of auditing our approved brands. Fees are dependent on gross sales of the products being approved and start at £149.00 plus VAT per year for the smallest brands.
The timeframes for auditing your supply chain, implementing Leaping Bunny criteria and preparing an application is different for each applicant, and can be anything from 3 to 24 months. There is no deadline within which you must submit your application, however you must ensure that any supplier declarations that you collect are less than one year old upon submission. Once you have submitted a complete application, it can take up to four weeks for us to process and review.
You can find answers to frequently asked questions here.