Leaping Bunny Certification Programme
Leaping Bunny certification is the international gold standard for non-animal tested consumer products
Introducing the Leaping Bunny
Evolving over the years, Leaping Bunny certification was originally established in the 1990s by our international coalition of animal protection organisations. The Leaping Bunny logo is issued for use by companies which produce cosmetic, personal care and cleaning products which comply with the Humane Cosmetic and Humane Household Product Standards criteria.
Today, certification of companies from around the world is managed by Cruelty Free International and our international partners who certify companies in specific regions. In the US and Canada the programme is managed by our partners the Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics (CCIC). Regardless of where a company is certified, Leaping Bunny certification applies internationally, giving shoppers around the world confidence that all certified companies meet our high standards.
Why choose the Leaping Bunny for your business?
The Leaping Bunny remains the most trusted cruelty free certification for non-animal tested products, and with good reason. Choosing to become Leaping Bunny certified may enable your business to:
- Attract an ever growing ethical consumer market
- Build shopper confidence in your brand, creating or maintaining a positive ethical profile
- Implement effective supplier monitoring processes, and verify cruelty free claims to shoppers via a system of independent audits
- Integrate cruelty free principles into your existing business practices
- Demonstrate international commitment to cruelty free
- Introduce a wider choice of ethical consumer products to markets
Encourage investment into scientific alternatives that are more ethical and accurate than animal testing.
Leaping Bunny certification
Companies have the option of applying for either one or both Leaping Bunny certifications:
- Leaping Bunny Certification: Cosmetics Products
- Leaping Bunny Certification: Household Products
When a company applies for certification, they products in the own brand being certified. Individual ranges or items cannot be certified alone. Leaping Bunny certification does not currently include medicines, human or animal food items or clothing. Animal grooming products are included within the cosmetics certification.
In order to apply for Leaping Bunny certification, please check that your business is eligible and ensure that:
- Your company sells consumer products that fall under the definition of either cosmetics or household cleaning products
- These products are your own label/ brand ranges and not owned by another company
- You are not an agent, distributor or manufacturer acting on behalf of a third party without their express written permission and direct contact details
- If you are a manufacturer, you may apply for non-transferable certification of your own label certifiable consumer products. There are no Leaping Bunny ‘certified’ manufacturers, because a company may change manufacturers or source various items from differing manufacturers. For this reason, each company must apply for certification in its own right, even where a manufacturer has certification for their own brand products.
In order to obtain Leaping Bunny certification, and remain certified, your company must demonstrate that it meets our core criteria:
- Apply a fixed cut-off date after which none of your products or ingredients are tested on animals
- Establish procedures for verifying the strict implementation of your fixed cut-off date with product manufacturers and raw ingredients suppliers to monitor your supply chains
- Adopt an animal testing policy verified by Cruelty Free International
- Allow independent audit to evidence compliance with Leaping Bunny criteria
In order to obtain Leaping Bunny certification, your business must complete and pass our rigorous application process. In order to remain certified post approval, your company will need to demonstrate ongoing commitment to Leaping Bunny criteria.
Step 1: Complete the online form to express your interest in Leaping Bunny certification and to discuss your query further. Introduce us to your products and gain a more detailed understanding of certification criteria
Step 2: Begin a personalised business relationship with us, receive an application pack and discuss any questions you may have about the application process
Step 3: Implement Leaping Bunny certification criteria within your business, set up your supplier monitoring systems and submit your completed application to us
Step 4: Your application will be approved or you will receive constructive feedback on how you can meet our criteria
Step 5: If your application is approved we will work towards finalisation of your application prior to public launch as a Leaping Bunny certified company
Please note that we never encourage any company to make public statements about submitting an application or intending to submit an application. In order to provide shoppers with an accurate list of certified companies, we request that companies keep pending applications confidential until their official public certification launch date.
We are a non-profit organisation and fees for Leaping Bunny certification do not represent a profit for us. Instead, they contribute a little towards our administration, the cost of licensing the Leaping Bunny logo, and the cost of auditing our certified companies. Fees are dependent on turnover, and start at £65.00 plus VAT per year for the smallest organisations.
The timeframes for implementing Leaping Bunny criteria and preparing an application is different for each applicant, as different companies complete the process in different timescales. Upon receipt of your application pack, there is no deadline within which you must submit your application, however you must ensure that any supplier declarations that you collect are less than one year old upon submission. Once you have submitted a complete application, please allow six weeks for us to process and review.
We are happy to endorse Cruelty Free Retailers. A Cruelty Free Retailer is a retailer that sells only Leaping Bunny certified consumer products. Please contact us in order to find out how you can become a Cruelty Free Retailer.
You can find answers to frequently asked questions here.