Shelter dogs around the world are ending up in laboratories
You can help save them
Our latest investigation has found evidence of every dog lover’s worst nightmare.
Lost, stray and abandoned dogs who’ve ended up in government-run shelters in Brazil are being handed over to universities for use in experiments. And many of these poor animals are also being supplied to veterinary schools for student teaching classes.
Sadly, we know it isn’t just happening in Brazil:
- Our researchers have found evidence that stray and shelter dogs, or those labelled as ‘random source’, can still be used in experiments in the USA, Canada and Australia.
- We’ve heard shocking accounts that around the word, stray dogs are being deliberately harmed or killed for education purposes, including for students to develop and practice their surgical skills at human and veterinary medical schools.
- In some parts of the USA and Canada, local laws actually allow laboratories to buy unclaimed dogs from animal shelters for use in painful experiments.
It’s an appalling thought. But you can help us end it.
A host of celebrities are lending their voices to our new campaign, including Eric McCormack, Danny Trejo, Seth Gilliam, Lou Diamond Phillips and Vanessa-Mae.
Together, we can end this global scandal.
Treating dogs as disposable commodities and viewing them simply as teaching tools with no regard for their lives is morally wrong. But we believe it’s also scientifically and educationally unnecessary. There are many viable alternatives to using dogs in teaching, and many schools around the world are successfully using a combination of simulations, models and actual animal patients instead.
The European Union has all but banned the use of stray dogs in experiments, and our work has helped to ensure this cruel practice is a thing of the past in many countries. Together, we can persuade other governments to follow their lead.
Three step action plan to end the suffering
With your support, we can carry out our three step action plan to help save shelter dogs from laboratories:
- Investigate where lost, stray and abandoned dogs are suffering in laboratories.
- Expose the truth through the media, and rally celebrities to help spread our message.
- End this scandal by briefing politicians, informing medical and veterinary schools about the alternatives, and convincing governments that it must be stopped.