1st June 2015
BUAV changes to Cruelty Free International
Ending animal experiments worldwide
June 1st marks the coming together of BUAV and Cruelty Free International under one name to increase our reach as the voice for animals in laboratories worldwide.
As one of the world’s oldest animal protection organisations, our new name reflects the fact that the cruel use of animals in research is no longer just a British problem, but a global one. This change will enable us to dramatically increase our impact so that we can save more animals’ lives.
Michelle Thew, Chief Executive stated: “We estimate that on average at least 115 million animals are used and killed in experiments worldwide every year so the need for a global organisation working solely on this issue has never been greater.”
With a history rooted in the early social justice movement, the organisation was established in the UK in 1898 by women’s rights campaigner and philanthropist, Frances Power Cobbe. During our 117 year history, we have successfully campaigned to:
- Ban animal testing for new cosmetics and those sold in the UK and the EU. Since 2013, our global campaign to end cosmetics tests on animals is rapidly gaining momentum.
- Launch the Leaping Bunny programme - the internationally recognised no animal testing certification for cosmetics, personal care and cleaning products - which certifies leading household names including Marks & Spencer, The Co-operative, Waitrose, Superdrug and over 600 other companies.
- Ban the cruel LD50 oral toxicity tests in the UK, in which animals could be force fed chemicals until 50% of them died.
- Ban the use of wild-caught monkeys in UK laboratories. We have been instrumental in exposing the international trade in primates for research.
- Save thousands of animals from testing under REACH, Europe’s chemical testing programme.
- Inspire generations of politicians, decision-makers and compassionate people to make a difference for animals in experiments.
Cruelty Free International works to end animal experiments by investigating and exposing the reality of life for animals in laboratories, challenging decision-makers to make a positive difference for animals, and championing better science and cruelty free living. Our vision is to create a world in which nobody wants or believes we need to experiment on animals.
The BUAV Charitable Trust also changes name today to become Cruelty Free International Trust.
Read more about our change from BUAV to Cruelty Free International.